Well, here's a fresh approach. The Washington Defense of Marriage Alliance
is a ballot measure that proposes the following:
If passed by Washington voters, the Defense of Marriage Initiative would:
- add the phrase, "who are capable of having children with one another" to the legal definition of marriage;
- require that couples married in Washington file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage automatically annulled;
- require that couples married out of state file proof of procreation within three years of the date of marriage or have their marriage classed as "unrecognized";
- establish a process for filing proof of procreation; and
- make it a criminal act for people in an unrecognized marriage to receive marriage benefits.
(That's Washington state, by the way.) So, yeah, if the fundie-nuts' objection to gay marriage is based on the idea that marriage is for procreation â�?��?? well, put your money where your mouth is, Bush Leaguers.