The undying '90s live!
- Joan of Arc plays the latest Parafora Presents Anniversary shindig at Back Booth with Pillars & Tongues, the Pauses, and Nicole Miglis.
What will the wheel spin to tonight?
Over at the Social, Yo La Tengo is playing. Apparently, the band realized that, after 11,529 years, it might be about time to do something really ridiculous with their live show. After all, there's only so much mid-30s chin-stroking one band can be responsible for. So, they'll be doing two sets, the first of which will be determined by the spin of a wheel. Yes, music fans, 45 minutes of your entertainment tonight will be decided solely by chance. Yet, the options aren't that awful, according to the band's site:
1. Condo Fucks: 50 million Fuckbook fans can’t be wrong!
2. Dump: Why should Nijmegen and Claremont get all the fun? Is this the night Dump plays your town? Only the wheel knows.
3. The Freewheeling Yo La Tengo: You ask a question; we answer the question, and maybe follow up with a song.
4. The Name Game: Have you ever noticed how many Yo La Tengo songs include someone’s name? More than 45 minutes’ worth, that’s for sure, so who knows which ones we’ll do on any given night.
5. Sitcom Theater: The lucky audience in attendance the night the wheel lands on this space will get to see band and crew act out a classic sitcom.
6. Songs Starting With S: The only thing more common than a Yo La Tengo song with a name is a Yo La Tengo song starting with S (only one song fits both categories). So many, in fact, that we cannot promise that all of them are on the table, as it were. But we do promise that there will be songs rarely, if ever, heard live.
7. The Sounds of Science part 1
8. The Sounds of Science part 2: All of the lovely sounds we created, but none of that pesky science. We’re leaving the movies at home, and dividing the 90-minute program in half.