Photo by: Steve Gula
Welcome to 19 Questions, a feature where we ask longtime Orlando residents 19 questions that are mostly related to living in the City Beautiful.
Leah Sandler is a docent at Winter Park's Cornell Fine Arts Museum and is our first entirely native subject. She is not related to Adam Sandler, Barry Sandler, Sandler and Young or Larry Sanders (but she was born in Sanford).
1. Who's your favorite Orlando resident, living, dead, real or fictional?
Tao Lin, the author and poet, I guess. He grew up in Orlando. I just read his book Tai Pei and I can’t really think of anyone else.
2. What's the best meal you've ever eaten in Orlando?
My former roommate and close friend Jeremy cooked a pretty fancy meal when our friend Elena moved to Chicago. He’s French and he made almond encrusted snapper, these little baked cheese pastries, black sausage, salad and almond tile cookies. He planned it all weeks in advance and it was a lovely sendoff for Elena.
3. What was your first job in Orlando?
I was a secretary at Heritage Florida Jewish News. I tacked a picture of Karl Marx to the wall of my cubicle and ate lots of Jolly Ranchers.
4. When's the last time you went to a theme park?
My sophomore year of high school was the first and last time. I went to Universal with a friend and didn’t like anything.
5. What's your favorite beach?
6. What's your favorite Orlando attraction that no longer exists?
I dunno, Fazoli’s?
7. What do you hate most about living in Orlando?
Irregularities in the Lynx schedule.
8. What do you hate least about living in Orlando?
A lot of people seem to be trying to build a creative community here, and I like that.
9. When's the last time you went to a flea market?
Last summer. It's a really boring story. I went to the one in Sanford with my former roommate because we lived within walking distance of it. We bought matching huge fake tattoos. Her's [was] a tiger, mine a dragon.
10. In one word, describe your day job.
11. What's your favorite barbecue spot in Orlando?
I don’t really eat meat, but Tony’s Deli is probably my favorite non-barbecue food spot in Orlando.
12. Drink of choice?
13. What do you think of the Orlando Magic mascot, STUFF?
I am aggressively uninterested in anything having to do with sports.
14. NASA: pro or con?
Pro. I wholeheartedly support Dale Earnhardt. I'm kidding. I support NASA .
15. 'N Sync or Backstreet?
I really can’t stand either. For the record, I have firmly maintained this opinion since second grade.
16. How much is too much to spend on plastic flamingos?
I don’t even know what an appropriate range for this figure would be. $1.50?
17. When's the last time you were on OBT?
18. Captain EO: pro or con?
I [would have] to Google that, and I think that pretty much invalidates any opinion I may have formed.
19. What makes someone an Orlandoan?
Not being excited about theme parks.