Welcome to 19 Questions, a feature where we ask longtime Orlando residents 19 questions that are mostly related to living in the City Beautiful.
Hailing from Volusia County's most sprawling wonder Deltona, Ryan Murphy has lived in Orlando for the past eight years. She currently works as an assistant manager at Alchemy Hair Salon.
1. Who's your favorite Orlando resident, living, dead, real or fictional?
I'm gonna go with the transient that sits outside of my local Publix. He's reliable, you know. I can always count on him being there. And he looks like Rust Cohle.
2. What's the best meal you've ever eaten in Orlando?
I'm partial to Mediterranean Deli on Fairbanks. The food is awesome, fairly priced, and the two guys running the show are super friendly.
3. What's your favorite place to get shit-faced and why?
Hideaway, no doubt. Cheap drinks, good bar food ... and Lynn!
4. What's the last concert or show you went to in Orlando?
I recently saw my favorite musician, Scott Hansen a.k.a. Tycho, play at the Beacham. As always, was a spectacular show. Do listen.
5. Do you have a favorite beach?
New Smyrna. I like being able to drive on the beach - sorry, turtles - and there are a solid amount of divey beach bars to enjoy yourself at.
6. What's your favorite Orlando attraction that no longer exists?
Do [the] Jaws and Back to the Future [rides] at Universal count? Classics. Gone forever.
7. What do you hate most about living in Orlando?
Lack of decent city transportation and not having the ideal music scene I'd like.
8. What do you hate least about living in Orlando?
Eh, it's affordable living.
9. SunRail: pro or con?
[I'm] into it.
10. In one word, describe your day job.
11. What's your favorite coffee spot in Orlando?
Publix. It's free.
12. Do you have an orange juice brand of choice?
Simply Orange is where it's at! I suggest switching up your screwdriver game with the Orange Banana flavor.
13. The Oviedo Chickens: pro or con?
I'm not really a fan of birds, but I do enjoy chicken wings.
14. Have you ever encountered Wayne Brady? If so, what was the circumstance?
No, but I did encounter Ferguson from Clarissa Explains It All. [editor's note: gross!]
15. Creed or 7 Mary 3?
16. Orlando: underrated, overrated or perfectly rated?
I'll go with underrated. It's on the up and up.
17. Publix or Winn-Dixie?
Pub Subs all the way! That Winn-Dixie Strawberry Chek soda is pret-taaaay good, though.
18. Tourists: pro or con?
I could do without them.
19. What makes someone an Orlandoan?
Knowing the hidden gems and avoiding I-drive at all costs.
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Orlando Weekly Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Orlando Weekly Press Club for as little as $5 a month.