10. Skateboards & Palm trees on a bucket hat during Sleigh Bells! This was the second hat I photographed.
9. Classy Panama hat. This was elegant and effective. No sunburn here, while keeping it cool and fashionable. Oh, and then there’s a middle finger to offset the class while Timeflies freestyles in the background.
8. Aye agree with this captain’s hat blocking the sun while Walk the Moon performs in the background.
7. This old straw hat littered with duct tape definitely makes the countdown while Grouplove screams in the back. Either it has seen a lot of days in the sun and it's simply being held together by the greatest tape in the world, or it's a feeble fashion statement attempt.
6. I’m not sure which I like more here, the fedora or the gold chains! She takes No. 8 while watching Morning Parade rock out.
5. Flowers and Tegan and Sara. “Hey man, if I get lost, just look for the bright flowers!” is what I imagined this dude saying to his friends.
4. HAIM and frogs. How did he preserve this hat from 1991?! Or should I say, "1991 called and they want their hat back!" This is something I would have had in elementary school and EVERYONE would have wanted to try it on.
3. Reagan vs. Bush ‘84 with Sleigh Bells in the back
Really dude?!? The color of the hat is flawless, even after all those years. Could this be a reprint? It would be wayyy cooler if it’s an original.
2. How did this dude find a Rugrats hat!? It seems you can get anything on the Internet these days. This is more like a sweet thrift-store find, though. Either way, Chuckie and Tommy cheesin' it up made it to No. 2 while Mark Foster from Foster the People casts spells in the background.
1. OK, it’s a fucking cowboy hat to start out with. Then it has a Rastafarian colored do-rag tied around the top. And to really seal the deal, it has a purple bow on it! It’s like this person was saying “I’m a stoner cowboy that also likes to look pretty.”
Q: I thought my hat was cool, why didn’t it make the list?
A: Your hat wasn’t cool enough. Yes, I saw every hat at Big Guava. These were cooler.
Q: Did you really see EVERY hat at Big Guava?
Mitch Foster runs an Orlando music blog Shows I Go To, where he documents the shit out of his favorite aspects of the local music scene.
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orlando Weekly works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.