Last week, we told you that From Dusk Till Dawn would be joining the mayhem at this year's Halloween Horror Nights. This week, Universal announced another property joining the terror: The Purge. This series of horror (and super-super suspense) movies explore what happens when all crime is legalized once a year for 12 hours.
Instead of locking visitors in a locked-tight house a la the first movie, Universal's choosing to frighten them Purge-style with a scare zone that takes place on the streets immortalized in the sequel. Masked villains will stalk guests in the New York backlot section of the park, bringing to life the chaos and panic that takes place where there are absolutely no rules to be followed.
"The chaos that reigns in the film will be replicated nightly, but now our guests can actually attempt to survive the night themselves," said Michael Aiello, Director of Entertainment – Creative Development, Universal Orlando Resort. "The familiar emergency broadcast will be heard announcing the commencement of the annual Purge, and all hell will literally break loose."
So far, only one other scare zone has been announced for the annual fright fest: a street experience based on the most macabre and terrifying creations contestants from Syfy's Face Off could imagine. All the Halloween Horror Nights fun (or scardey-cat-ness) begins on September 19.
There's no preview for The Purge scare zone, but this movie trailer should give you an idea of the madness guests will be in for at the event:
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at email@example.com.
Orlando Weekly works for you, and your support is essential.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida.
Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.
Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.