Attention Mills 50 taco freaks! The wait is almost over. John and Juliana Calloway, proprietors of Black Rooster Taqueria, hope to open their much-anticipated eatery at 1323 N. Mills Ave. the "second week of February."
This won't necessarily make the wait any easier, but they shared photos of some of their menu items and, well, now I'm craving tacos. Here's a sampling to look forward to:
- Fish Taco: crispy beer battered and local, pickled cabbage, remoulade sauce, avocado, cilantro, radish (see photo)
- Black Rooster Asada: seared beef, applewood smoked bacon, Oaxaca cheese, chile poblano, onion, cilantro, three chile-tomato salsa
- Achiote Pork: slow-roasted pork in banana leaf, achiote, pickled onion, cilantro, habanero salsa
- Chicken Tinga: pulled roasted chicken, chipotle chile-tomato sauce, lettuce, crema fresca
- Carne Asada: seared beef, house marinade, onions, cilantro, three chile-tomato salsa
- Vegetarian: shiitake mushrooms, onion, zucchini, epazote, crema fresca
If that weren't enough, BRT will also serve sopes (corn masa cakes with toppings), ceviches, salads, various sides and brothy bowls of slow-cooked meats. Dessert offerings include tres leches cake and a chocolate-chipotle flan.
Local robot artist Randall Smith
has been commissioned to do a large painting inside the restaurant, though Juliana Calloway was mum on details. One thing's certain: It won't be a robot. "I want it to be a surprise," she said. "It's something he's never done and it looks awesome!"
One month and counting ... until then, check out their newly launched website
for more drool-worthy pics and descriptions.