We spent the weekend at the first Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival down in Okeechobee, Florida, and had a killer time. Here are some of our highlights in no particular order.
1. Kendrick Lamar grabs a fan out of the crowd to join him onstage. "As long as I'm standing on this stage, as long as I'm writing these words, you will always have somebody to relate to," Lamar told the lucky concertgoer.
2. These Orlando City fans watching Sunday's game on their phone in the VIP section. Hope they were able to catch the surprise comeback at the end.
3. Spotting Carl (Chandler Riggs) from The Walking Dead
in the crowd. With both eyes. BOTH EYES, CORAL!
4. This string quartet. Soundslinger, the organizers behind the festival, put a lot of effort into creating unique, unscheduled experiences for festival attendees like firespinners, dancers and even a parade. We came across this quartet performing instrumental covers on Sunday afternoon.
5. Covers of David Bowie, the Clash and Neil Young during Saturday's PoWow!, a unique set from Miguel, Win Butler, the Meters, Kamasi Washington, Preservation Hall Jazz Band and many more artists. Even Skrillex showed up to knock out a few riffs on guitar.
6. This banh mi. It may not have been anywhere near as good as one you'll find in Mills 50, but at $10, it packed one of the best food-per-dollar ratios of any of the vendor options. Beer-to-dollar ratios were more in line with usual festival prices.