Candlelight vigil scheduled Saturday for community leader killed in drive-by shooting

by

comment
PHOTO COURTESY OF MYLAINE NICOLAS
  • Photo courtesy of Mylaine Nicolas
Family, friends and local officials have planned a candlelight vigil and prayer Saturday night to honor the life of Gino Nicolas, the Orlando coordinator of the My Brother's Keeper initiative who was killed last weekend. 

Nicolas, 24, was killed at the Landings at Carver Park apartment complex in Parramore in a drive-by shooting that injured five other men, one critically, according to the Orlando Police Department. The Florida State University graduate was involved in the Parramore Kidz Zone as a teenager and had come back to his neighborhood to help and mentor the local youth, especially young men of color, says Lisa Early, director of the city’s Families, Parks and Recreation Department. 



"He wanted to make a difference in his own neighborhood," Early said at a Orlando City Council meeting earlier this week. "[The kids] really loved him. They loved Gino."

The vigil will be at 7 p.m. Saturday, April 23, at the John H. Jackson Center on Carter Street, according to Orlando City Commissioner Regina Hill's office. His funeral will be next Saturday, April 30, at 11 a.m. in the Kingdom Church on Nowell Street. Look for a longer story about Nicolas in Orlando Weekly's next issue on Wednesday, April 27. 


We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at feedback@orlandoweekly.com.

Orlando Weekly works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.