Exploding e-cig launches 'fireball' at 14-year-old girl on Hogwarts Express

by

comment
hogwarts_express_ride_facebook.jpg
Officials say a young girl riding a theme park ride in Universal Orlando suffered serious facial burns when an electronic cigarette exploded next to her. 

The incident occurred around 3 p.m. Saturday on the Hogwarts Express ride as it was traveling to Islands of Adventure. An e-cigarette in the pocket of one of the riders sitting next to the 14-year-old girl exploded, sending a flash of fire toward her, police told the Orlando Sentinel



Officials said the girl was taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children to treat mild to moderate burns on the right side of her face, arm and leg. The owner of the e-cigarette suffered minor injuries.

The Hogwarts Express train was closed for the remainder of the day and experienced no significant damage.



Police Lt. Dan Brady called the incident a "weird, freak accident."

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at feedback@orlandoweekly.com.

Orlando Weekly works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.