A goat blood–drinking white nationalist from Orlando who launched a previous failed bid as a Libertarian says he's running again for U.S. Senate, but this time as a Republican.
Augustus Sol Invictus, whose real name is reportedly Austin Gillespie
, made the announcement in a video filmed outside U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson's office days after his participation
in white supremacist rallies in Charlottesville. Three people were killed during the rallies, including 32-year-old Heather Heyer, a paralegal who participating in an anti-racist protest when she and others were run down by a driver.
"The left has been physically attacking patriot gatherings, free speech rallies and protests of the destruction of our heritage in the South," Invictus says in the video
. "They have waged a campaign of terror from coast to coast and all across Europe for well over two years now. And yet, the city council of Charlottesville deliberately set a trap for those of us attending the 'Unite the Right' rally."
Invictus is running for Nelson's seat in 2018, but last year, he made headlines after he announced he was running for U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio's seat as a Libertarian. The controversy surrounding his candidacy was ignited after Libertarian state Chairman Adrian Wyllie accused of him supporting eugenics, trying to recruit Neo-Nazis to the party and of drinking goat's blood in a pagan ritual. Invictus denied supporting eugenics, but did go into great detail about killing a goat for the ritual. Wyllie ultimately resigned in protest, and Invictus eventually lost the Libertarian nomination.
The Tampa Bay Times
reports Invictus is credited by white supremacist Richard Spencer with writing the first draft of the manifesto for the group, which includes lines like:
- "Jews are an ethno-religious people distinct from Europeans."
- "Racially or ethnically defined states are legitimate and necessary."
- "Whites alone defined America as a European society and political order."
- "The so-called 'refugee crisis' is an invasion, a war without bullets, taking place on the fields of race, religion, sex, and morality. At stake is Europe’s very identity—whether the continent will be the locus of our people’s shared story, or become just another Islamic outpost."
- "We oppose feminism, deviancy, the futile denial of biological reality, and everything destructive to healthy relations between men and women." -"Leftism is an ideology of death and must be confronted and defeated."
Yeah, we'll be bringing our popcorn to that first Senate debate.