Florida dog nearly dies after owner attempts to color it purple

by

comment
PHOTO VIA PINELLAS COUNTY ANIMAL SERVICES/FACEBOOK
  • Photo via Pinellas County Animal Services/Facebook
"Do not, under any circumstances, use hair color intended for humans on your pets," warned Pinellas County Animal Services after someone nearly killed their dog with purple hair dye.

Violet – a normally white, 5-pound Maltese mix – was brought to the Pinellas County Animal Services with burns and swollen eyes. Detailing the incident in a recent Facebook post, the department said "she was limp and listless, she had obvious burns to her skin."

After three months of pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids and various other treatments, the dog has fully recovered. But the department has a message for anyone considering dying their pooch: "Chemicals in hair dye are TOXIC causing a wide array of external injury to your pet – possible burns, blindness and because an animal’s first instinct is to lick, it can cause poisoning or internal burns. Just don’t," said the department.



The dog has since been given to new owners, who are fine with her natural hair color.