Photo by Monivette Cordeiro
Despite all the hoopla surrounding the Florida governor's race and other high-profile candidates, there are a number of important elections here in our backyard.
Orange County voters came out in force to vote for three new county commissioners, sheriff and several state lawmakers. Below are the latest results, with winners bolded, in several Central Florida races, according to the latest election results posted by the state Division of Elections
and the Orange County Supervisor of Elections office
- Florida State Representative, Seat 29: Republican incumbent state Rep. Scott Plakon edges out Democratic hopeful Tracey Kagan by thin margin of 51-49 percent of the vote.
- Florida State Representative, Seat 30: In a surprise twist, Maitland City Council member Joy Goff-Marcil ousted Republican incumbent state Rep. Bob Cortes. With nearly all precincts reporting, Goff-Marcil by a margin of almost 53 percent of the vote to Cortes' 47 percent.
- Florida State Representative, Seat 31: Republican Rep. Jennifer Sullivan sweeps this race from Democratic challenger Debra A. Kaplan with a 61-39 percent voter margin.
- Florida State Representative, Seat 44: With all precincts reporting, incumbent Republican state Rep. Robert "Bobby O" Olszewski loses to Democratic challenger and former state Rep. Geraldine Thompson by a close margin of almost 49 percent of the vote to Thompson's 51 percent.
- Florida State Representative, Seat 47: First-time Democratic candidate Anna Eskamani walloped Republican challenger Stockton Reeves, winning 57 percent of the vote to Reeves' near 43 percent.
- Florida State Representative, Seat 48: Incumbent Amy Mercado, D-Orlando, handily beat last-minute Republican challenger George Chandler with a margin of 73 percent of the vote to Chandler's near 27 percent.
- Florida State Representative, Seat 49: Progressive state Rep. Carlos Guillermo Smith, D-Orlando, win re-election against GOP challenger Ben Griffin with 63 percent of the total vote compared to the almost 37 percent of the vote obtained by Griffin.
- Florida State Representative, Seat 50: Republicans retain control of this seat with incumbent Rep. Rene "Coach P" Plasencia's 55-45 margin win against Democrat Pam Dirschka.
- Circuit Judge Group 9: Laura Shaffer beats Dean Mosely for this non-partisan position with 62 percent of the vote.
- Orange County School Board, District 2: With all precincts reporting, Johanna López wins this race with almost 61 percent of the vote, compared to David Grimm's 39 percent.
- Orange County School Board, District 7: With most precincts reporting, Melissa Mitchell Byrd sweeps past Eric Schwalbach by a margin of 63 percent of the vote to nearly 37 percent.
- Orange County Sheriff: Former Orlando Police Chief John Mina narrowly beats challenger Darryl Sheppard by winning almost 46 percent of the vote compared to Sheppard's near 41 percent. Retired Florida Highway Patrol Chief Joe Lopez got about 14 percent of votes in Orange County.
- Orange County Commission District 2: Former Orange County School Board member Christine Moore edges out Patricia Rumph for the county commission, winning 55 percent of the vote.
- Orange County Commission District 3: Construction company owner Mayra Uribe easily beat fellow business owner and opponent Pete Crotty by winning 57 percent of the vote.
- Orange County Commission District 4: Maribel Gomez Cordero squeezes past former Commissioner Jennifer Thompson's aide Susan Makowski with just 175 votes, leading to an automatic recount.
Stay on top of Orlando news and views. Sign up for our weekly Headlines newsletter.
- Orange County Soil and Water Conservation District, Seat 2: Name recognition and constant presence pays off for incumbent Daisy Morales, who wins almost 64 percent of the vote against Sean McQuade.
- Orange County Soil and Water Conservation District, Seat 4: Dawn Curtis soundly beats William “Derek” Ryan with 61 percent of the vote.