Eliot Hillis (L) and Seth Parker (R) of Orlando Meats
The geniuses over at Orlando Meats
are getting into the pizza game.
Eliot Hillis, culinary director and co-owner of Orlando Meats with Edgar Massoni, says they'll open a pizza concept called Recess
inside Orange County Brewers next week.
Recess will take over the space that was recently vacated by Pizza Bruno
Hillis says Recess's pies will be Neapolitan-style, but the dough will incorporate alkaline water to create a little more chew in the crust, plus he'll add malt for a more uniform caramelization.
Orange County Brewers
"I have a deep love and respect for those that make a fine pie," Hillis says.
"All I did was to try and accentuate the things that I love most about good pizza — the chew and crunch, the sour and sweet. I wanted my slice to stand at attention while folded and still have a yielding bite."
Hillis and Orlando Meats chef de cuisine Seth Parker are still tweaking the menu, but here's a taste of the pies to expect:
- Rabbit food: Confit carrot, smoked tomato, scallion, mushroom
- Miss piggy: mozzarella, Swiss, ham, fermented shallot, whipped garlic confit
- Bride of Frankenstein: mozzarella, pesto, italian sausage
- Red head: cheddar, guanciale, broccoli, green goddess, pomodoro
- Hell songs: fresh mozzarella, pickled serrano, fried batter, kewpie
- Hannah: mushrooms, peaches, parm, pickled ramp, alfredo base
The name "Recess," BTW, is a reference to the courthouse just up the road.
Recess will, umm, be in session
May 15 and, umm, open to judging
So many restaurants, so little time. Find out the latest dining news every Friday morning with our weekly Food + Drink newsletter.