Page 3 of 10
- Photo by Rob Bartlett
- No. 36: Plan an East End Market food crawl (don’t forget Domu).
20. Go ice skating outdoors in Florida: November through January, enjoy Winter in the Park in Central Park's West Meadow (corner of Morse Boulevard and New York Avenue, Winter Park, cityofwinterpark.org).
21. Argue over where College Park begins and ends with another longtime resident, but don't even get into the whole Mills 50/Colonialtown/ViMi mess.
22. Learn Spanish. Whether you're reading a menu, listening to the radio or helping someone with directions, it's time to stop pretending that Florida is a monolingual state. Brush up on your vocabulary and irregular verbs at Orlando Language Exchange, a group trying to bridge language barriers in fun, relaxed social settings (facebook.com/orlandolanguageexchange).
23. Go have a stiff drink at Ace Cafe, scarf down some loud food, browse through the apparel and finally realize that, yes, you were indeed born to be wild (100 W. Livingston St., acecafeusa.com).
24. Buy plants from Leu Gardens (1920 N. Forest Ave., leugardens.org) at the annual plant sale, a massive flora and fauna bonanza that takes place every March. Spend some time exploring the gorgeous formal gardens while you're there.
25. Visit Holy Land Experience (4655 Vineland Road, holylandexperience.com) on its annual free day. Every year the Biblical-themed amusement park is required to open its doors to the public for free in exchange for property-tax exemptions. The annual event is chaotic and crowded, but the experience is ... well, it's something.
26. Do yoga outdoors at the mass class in Lake Eola Park on Sundays, because your dog could be a little more downward.
27. Take a selfie in front of one of Orlando's many colorful murals, found all over town.
28. Visit the Cassadaga Spiritualist Camp (cassadaga.org) to get your tarot and/or aura read, shop for crystal balls, take a ghost tour, and perch on the Devil's Chair. A more unique day trip is impossible to find.
29. Ride an airboat and gawk at gators at Black Hammock Adventures (2356 Black Hammock Fish Camp Road, Oviedo, theblackhammock.com). Riding airboats is a quintessentially Central Floridian activity, as is slugging a few beers after your experience.
30. Take a leisurely 45-minute trip east on picturesque Colonial Drive to get your Christmas cards postmarked in Christmas, Florida.