Special Issues » Annual Manual

It happened to me

A handy guide to some resources you may find you need in Central Florida


Something’s wrong and I need to call the police. If you’re in the city of Orlando and it’s not an emergency, dial 321-235-5300. Outside city limits (but still in Orange County), call 407-836-4357. Of course, if it’s an emergency, the old 911 will do no matter where you are.

It might be good if I could talk to an attorney, but I know I can’t afford it. Check in with the Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association, www.legalaidocba.org or 407-841-8310.

Hey, I hate my current political representation. What’s the best way for me to vote them out? You can update your voter registration when you update your driver’s license, but for a direct route – and a guaranteed early voting site – head over to the Orange County Supervisor of Elections office, ocfelections.com.

I need a new driver’s license, because I’m pretty sure I lost mine in the move or on that hottie’s nightstand. You have a couple of options, but both require a wait in line. You can find your closest full-service Department of Motor Vehicles office by going to flhsmv.gov/offices/orange.html (things have recently been consolidated), or you can (and probably should) just go to the local county tag agency, listed on the same website, or call 407-836-4145.

I need medical attention, but I don’t have insurance or a job. Theoretically, the emergency room of any local hospital should see you. But there are several free clinics operated by Shepherd’s Hope (shepherdshope.org) around town, serving the ill on a first-come-first-served basis. The downtown medical volunteer health center sees patients from 6-9 p.m. every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (101 S. Westmoreland Drive).

My dog ran away! Call Orange County Animal Services at 407-836-3111 while you’re making your posters.

I have created a ridiculous amount of yard waste. You can find the regulations and the scheduled weekly pickup times within city limits at cityoforlando.net, or call the solid waste division at 407-246-2314. In Orange County, not Orlando? Check ocfl.net or call 407-836-6601.

I think I got an STD, or maybe I’m pregnant? The Center, at 946 N. Mills Ave., offers free HIV testing seven days a week (407-228-8272). For other reproductive concerns (both male and female), Planned Parenthood has two offices in the area. Call 407-246-1788 for information.

I can’t afford to feed my kids. There are several food banks in town – some religiously affiliated, some not – but Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida is the most prominent. It’s at 3533 Mercy Drive, 407-295-1066.

I am without a home and I need a place to sleep. Best to start at the Coalition for the Homeless downtown, 639 W. Central Blvd., 407-426-1250.

There’s a tree leaning against my power line. Call the Orlando Utilities Commission at 407-423-9018.

I’m considering offing myself. First, please don’t. Pick up your phone and call LifeLine of Central Florida at 407-425-5201.

Consider supporting local journalism.
Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida. Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.