SKILLS TEST FOR NEW FEMA DIRECTORS
This is a test of knowledge and aptitudes you are expected to hold as an applicant for the position of FEMA director. Questions cover disciplines including math, logic, economics, analogies and professional ethics. (Yes, seriously.) Read each question carefully and mark the BEST answer on your answer sheet. Use a No. 2 pencil. If you don't know an answer immediately, skip it and return to it when you can. And for God's sake, don't go shooting your mouth off about it to Wolf Blitzer. You have 45 minutes to complete all work required of you, but remember that problem-solving time tends to elapse a lot faster than most of us think. Good luck.
1) How long will it take to evacuate 500,000 residents of a region that has been buffeted by a natural disaster?
2) A levee breaks on your watch. You tell the media that recovery efforts are difficult because you knew the levee was going to break, but not in so many places. What is the mathematical formula that shows a levee can be "more" or "less" broken?
3) While on a publicity tour of a shelter facility, your boss' mother tells reporters that enforced relocation is "working very well" for many of its temporary residents. How do you respond to this gaffe in a way that is tactful but nips potential fallout in the bud?
4) A friend of yours, Trent, loses his house in a natural disaster. Another of your friends, George, promises that the American people will buy him "a fantastic new house." How much will it cost to build this dream home?
5) "Compassionate conservatism" is to "disaster aid" as "Fortune 500" is to ...
6) Which of the following is the least relevant to emergency-aid work?
7) In the wake of a life-altering catastrophe, your boss announces his intention to issue a $2,000 debit card to every survivor. At the same time, the cost of gas increases 500 percent. How much will each survivor actually receive after the added expenditure is factored in?
8) Some hurricane victims are looters. All looters are black. Therefore:
9) A massive hurricane hits a major metropolitan center, displacing thousands and destroying untold amounts of property. Your boss gives his assurances that everything will be put to right without any interruption in his costly war-making campaigns or his program of tax cuts for the wealthy. What do we call the law of physics that allows this to happen?